jueves, 7 de octubre de 2010

Expect, hope, wait, look forward to

The Spanish verb esperar is a difficult one to translate into English. There are several options.

Expect - to think that something will happen because it has been planned or it seems probable. One can expect good or bad things. Example:
I expect it will rain at the weekend.
I'm expecting John to phone at three.
She's expecting a baby.

Hope - to want something to happen or to be true. One only hopes for good things. Example:
I hope it won't rain during the holidays.
I hope the exam goes well.
She's pregnant. She's hoping it will be a girl.

Wait - We wait when somebody or something is late, or when we are early for something, or when we want time to pass so that something will happen. Example:
We've been waiting for rain for ages.
I waited for her until three, but she didn't arrive.

Look forward to - to think about something that is going to happen with pleasure. Example:
He's looking forward to his birthday.

Look forward to is the verb we use in letters as a farewell formula, always with -ing if another verb follows:
I look forward to hearing from you soon (present simple in formal letters).
I'm looking forward to meeting you (present continuous in informal letters).

Self-study activity: Complete the gaps in the sentences with expect, hope, wait or look forward to.

1. I ... my retirement day to devote all my time to my hobbies.
2. I'm still ... for Harry to pay me back all the money he owes me.
3. She ... him to be angry with her.
4. I ... the employment situation will change one day.

Key:
1. look forward to   2. waiting   3. expects/expected   4. hope

No hay comentarios: