viernes, 21 de octubre de 2011

Talking point: How much do you gossip?

  • How much time do you spend every day gossiping or listening to gossip, whether in person or online?
  • Do you think gossiping is dangerous?
  • Do you think you could refrain from gossiping for an entire day?
  • What are some of the consequences of gossip that you have observed in your own life?
  • Talk about your experience of gossip.
Before you get together with your discussion group, you may like to gain further background information about the topic by reading this The New York Times article, In Small Town Gossip Moves to the Web, and Turns Vicious.


When you get together with your friends, you may agree or disagree with the ideas they express. Use these expressions to show your attitude to what they say:

Agreement
I quite agree.
You are quite right.
I agree with you entirely.
That’s absolutely true.

Partial agreement
I agree up to a point, but...
I agree with you to some extent.
I see what you mean but...

Disagreement
I’m not sure you’re right there.
I’m afraid I can’t accept that.
I can’t possibly accept that / agree with you.
(I’m afraid) I don’t agree.