jueves, 2 de mayo de 2013

That's what I heard you say -Sony ad

I heard about this ad and poem from Kieran Donaghy through the lesson Love at first sight on his extraordinary blog Film English.

I have been tempted to devise a short gap-fill listening task about the ad, but on second thoughts, I have decided to do nothing, as I feel it is enough that we simply enjoy the sheer beauty of the images, the music and Leonard Cohen's poem without any distractions.

Once you are familiar with the poem, you can try to shadow-read it, that is, recite the poem at the same pace as Leonard Cohen. That way you English pronunciation will improve, especially as far as the rhythm is concerned.

If you have any difficulty with the vocabulary, you can double click on the word you don't understand and the meaning will immediately pop up on screen.



That's What I Heard You Say

Don’t matter if the road is long
Don’t matter if it’s steep
Don’t matter if the page is gone
It’s written that we’ll meet.
I loved you when you opened
Like a lily to the heat
And I love you when it closes
A thousand kisses deep
I know you had to lie to me
I know you had to cheat
You learned it on your father’s knee
And at your mother’s feet.
But did you have to fight your way
Across the burning street
Where all our vital interests lay
A thousand kisses deep

Leonard Cohen