viernes, 27 de septiembre de 2013

Genius 13-year-old with IQ of 162

Neha Ramu lives in London. She is only 13, but has a higher IQ (intelligence quotient) than Stephen Hawking. Neha scored 162 in a Mensa IQ test for people under 18, the highest possible mark, which put her in the top one percent of the UK's brightest people.

Self-study activity:
Watch the BBC video by clicking on  the picture below or this link and say whether the statements below are true or false.

Neha's accent isn't easy at all, but intermediate students will find her mother's well within their reach.


1 Neha considers herself to be clever.
2 The people who took the test with Neha were the same age as her.
3 Neha's mother got the test results first.
4 Neha had to repeat the test because there was some problem.
5 Neha finds all subjects easy.
6 Neha is involved in several activities other than studying.
7 For Neha, intelligence without work won't get her too far.
8 Neha dreams of becoming a scientist.

I never really thought I was clever. I may just be like above average, in like type, in some school subjects but other school subjects I have to learn loads so no, I don’t really think I am clever. I think I am just, you know, just have a high IQ doesn’t really mean that I am clever.
I had the test in Birkbeck College in London, so I went there and I registered sat down and I was just looking at everyone around me, like everyone was some person was actually sixtyish, and most people were like seventeen, eighteen, and I was like the youngest person there because I was only twelve.
I came home from school I saw an envelope with my name on it, so I opened it up and I’ve realized I’d got into Mensa. I like called up  my mum I was like really really excited and I told her the news.
I was extremely happy when she said the first thing she had got into Mensa, I was in my workplace, and then I couldn’t believe it, I asked her to repeat the scores, again I couldn’t believe them, because I thought, problem not hearing properly. I asked her to go one by one, one, six, two like that.
When I found out that I got such a high score, I was like disbelieving that because it was just so amazing and like unexpected actually.
My favourite subject is chemistry because it is really interesting, and I love finding out like new things like how if you just mix two elements together you get something completely different. And maths also because it’s logical and like practical and I quite like stuff like that. I don’t really like arts and music because they are really difficult and I struggle with them.
Some people think that I study loads and stuff but I actually don’t really at all. I just like relax, just do like basic stuff.
She does all this without much effort, it’s not just putting some extra effort to get into whatever she’s doing now. She does it at her own pace, and she makes sure she has enough time for TV, for her swimming, for all other fun time with her friends, everything.
Checkmate.
Stephen Hawking, Albert Einstein achieved so much that I couldn’t like even dream of achieving, so it’s like not right to compare me to them just because of my IQ. I don’t make… if I don’t put in my effort and make use of my IQ, then there’s no point in having it.
This is my human brain book from my summer course. I want to be a neurologist, ever since last summer I’ve been like really interested in the brain and all the system and I’m really quite passionate about this subject so I think it’ll be good for me as a career, and as for university while like my dream college would be Harvard, but Oxford, Cambridge, I’m ok with any university as long as it helps me achieve my dream.
I don’t think I’m ever gonna stop learning even when I’m like graduated I’ll always be curious, and I’ll always be thinking I wonder how that works.

Key:
1-5 F 6-8 T