martes, 29 de octubre de 2013

Madrid Teacher series: Natalia's telephone call

Our Madrid Teacher post this week is devoted to Básico 2 and Intermediate 1 students. Natalia has arranged to meet a friend but something unexpected has happened.

Listen to their telephone conversation and answer the questions below about it.



1 Where's Natalia?
2 How long has Natalia's friend been waiting?
3 What's the weather like?
4 What had the two friends decided to do?
5 What problem has Natalia had?
6 What does Natalia suggest his friend should do?
7 Who is Natalia waiting for? [You may not know the name for the profession, but you can deduce from context what this person's job involves.]
8  How is Natalia going to travel to their meeting point?
9  What time is it now?
10 What does the friend ask Natalia to do when this person comes?

You can check your answers by reading the transcript.

Suggested activity:
Get together with a friend and think about a similar scenario to that in Natalia's telephone call. Make up an  unexpected problem that happened to you just when you were about to leave home to get together with your friend and role-play a telephone coversation. Change roles.


Hello. Natalia. It’s me where are you?
Oh, yes, I’m sorry. I know you’re waiting. I’m sorry.
I’m waiting. I’m waiting in the rain and it’s really cold.
Yes.
I’ve been waiting for half an hour and the film starts in five minutes. Where are you?
I’m sorry, but I just can’t leave. I’m sorry. The key broke.
What do you mean you can’t leave?
It has broken inside the door. Can you believe my luck?
What? What happened?
The key has broken. I can’t get out. I’m trying, but I can’t.
What key? In what door hole? What are you talking about?
I’m still home. Still at home. I’m still there. I’m sorry. You will have to watch the movie without me.
I don’t want to do that… I bought the tickets. They’re expensive.
Well, well, why don’t you do this… why don’t you ask them if they can change the tickets for a later show. Please.
So, you can’t leave the house?
Well, not at this moment. I already called the lock smith and he’s coming. He’s coming. He told me he’ll come.
So, you put the key. You put the key in the door, you turned the key and then it broke?
And it broke inside. Can you believe this?
Oh, OK.
But I know this lock smith he should be here any minute. Well, like in maybe ten minutes and then I’ll take a taxi. I promise. Yeah, yeah.
Oh, it sounds like… I guess if he comes now… if he does it quickly, then you can probably make it? Well, yeah… I’ll take a taxi but, you know, it’s about six o’clock right now right, right? So, so… traffic and all of that.
OK. Give me a call when he gets here.
OK. I will. Try to change it to a later show please.
Yeah, probably I’ll just try and get a refund maybe. We can go another day.
Yeah, OK, OK, OK, and I’ll call you.
Good luck with your key.
Thank you. I’m sorry.
Alright, no problem. Bye
Bye.