viernes, 4 de abril de 2014

Girl gets a surprise by Ellen Degeneres

This is a story of gratitude at the Ellen Degeneres Show.  It might seem a bit daunting to you but I think intermediate students can give it a try. Don't be put off by what you don't understand. Just focus on the questions and use them to keep track of the interview.



1 What does the girl, Sarah, do for a living?
2 How old is she?
3 Who does she live with?
4 Is she married?
5 Does she have any children?
6 When did the story happen?
7 Who were the customers?
8 What did Sarah do for them?
9 How has 'the world' learnt about Sarah's action?
10 How much money did Sarah make on that day?
11 How much was the bill?
12 Why can't Sarah watch Ellen's show?

You can check the answers with the transcript below.

I always end each show by saying, “Be kind to one another.” And our first guest is a waitress from Henniker at New Hampshire, who did just that. Please welcome, Sarah Hoidahl. You are a server, a waiter?
Yeah, and as a bartender.
And bartend at…?
At Ruby Tuesday’s – I used to be work on one shifts.
And where is it – let’s give it a plug. Ruby Tuesday is where?
Concord, New Hampshire.
Okay. So – and how old are you?
I am 22.
22 years old and you live with your mom?
I do.
And you’re a single mom?
I am.
All right. So that’s how you’re making your money? You’re making money of the tips and things like that.
Yes.
And explain to everyone what you did?
All right well, it was a regular Wednesday, lunch shift, I went in and two women National Guard, they were in their uniforms and everything. They came in for lunch and they were trying to decide what to get, they were looking through the menu. They said, they were trying to keep it light, they mentioned with the government shutdown that they were furloughed and they are not getting paid. That just got me thinking I was like, jeez that’s really difficult. I’m a waitress, single mother, I know how hard that is. And I just decided, I’m going to do something good today, I’m going to buy their lunch for them.
You’re going to buy their lunch?
Yeah.
So instead of the bill, I think we have a copy of the note. But it says, “Thanks to the government shutdown. People like you that protect this country are not getting paid, however, I still am. Lunch is on me. Thank you for serving ladies. Have a good day.” That’s what you left?
That’s what I left.
And then they posted this on Facebook and then it’s just taken off everybody found out about it.
Yeah.
And I mean that’s amazing, just one good deed that you were just helping those two women and look at what happened?
Yeah, it’s crazy. It’s mind-blowing and now I’m on Ellen.
Yeah. Yeah.
Oh my God! It’s mind-blowing. My mind is still blown.
So how much – how much did you make that night? What did you go home with?
I walked away with that – with $8.
$8, because…
Isn’t even enough to cover my gas.
Right. So that’s – that’s amazing that you know that you have a son. How old is your son?
He is 15 months.
15 months; what’s his name?
Ashton.
Ashton; so you – you’ve taken care of Ashton, precious little boy.
That’s my baby.
That’s your baby, that’s adorable and that’s tough, I mean you’re living at home with your mom and I want to – how much was the bill, because I’m going to pay you back and then how much was the bill?
I like it. I like the cats.
But I have so – I carry on so much stuff in my purse. Here it is, okay. How much?
That bill was $27.75.
$27 – one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, well there is $27 – $27.75, $0.25, $0.50, $0.60, well just keep it, whatever that is.
Thank you.
And then – first of all, so you paid back on that. And then I heard that you can’t watch my show. The most important thing here, this is why I have you here. Your television is broken. So you’re not able to watch me and that’s unacceptable. So I got you a brand new 50-inch Insignia television, yeah.
Oh my God, thank you.
And you get two of those and put them next to each other, you can put it on your lawn. Then it’s were like a million. And then I am completely out of cash now and I got to make it home myself. Can – Andy, can you bring mama, her checkbook please, I need. All right, here we go thanks. I’m going to make you a check right now. That’s for you. That’s because you’re amazing. You’re a good person. You’re a good person.
Thank you so much.
We’ll be back.
Oh my…