viernes, 19 de septiembre de 2014

Jennifer Lawrence, her Mom and the Oscars

Jennifer Lawrence tells a funny anecdote on the Ellen Show that involves the Oscars and her mom.

Self-study activity:
Watch the video and answer the questions below.

The activity is suitable for intermediate 2 students.



1 What does Kentucky refer to?
2 What's exciting for every actor?
3 What hilarious thing did Jennifer's mom do?
4 What did Jennifer fear after what her mom did?
5 Why did Jennifer herself have to do the same thing again?
6 What did Jennifer and her mom disagree on?

You can self-correct the activity by reading the transcript below.

Where you from originally (1)?
Kentucky.
Kentucky. And how is your mother enjoying your success?
Oh, she is very happy. She has more fun than I do. She called me one time. Recently I’ve just got into the academy, which was really exciting for me, that’s exciting for any actor (2). And then my… I get a call from my mother while I was in England and she goes, ‘I did something hilarious’. And I was like, ‘what?’ She was like, ‘I voted’. And I was like ‘you voted for what?’ ‘The Oscars’ (3) And I was like, ‘you voted for the Oscars, what do you mean?’ She was like, ‘the ballot came here, and I voted’. Because she thought I’d be like, that’s a hilarious, I’m gonna get kicked out of the academy (4).
Right.
Fortunately, she did a wrong, and mailed it. I think she mailed it back to herself (5). So, I got to do it again.
That’s… it’s horrible. So, she just thought anybody who receives the ballot can vote? Like it’s the People’s Choice Awards, or something like that.
Exactly. But I’m one of the people.
You have to be in the academy.
Yeah.
Wow. So, did you see who she voted? Did you do agree with who she awarded for (6)?
No.
Okay.
No, I didn’t