lunes, 5 de enero de 2015

Listening test: Living in London

In this week's listening test, we are going to practise the heading matching listening task.

You are going to hear six people explaining how they feel about living in London. Match each of the speakers 1-6 to the heading A-H that best represents what they say. There is one heading that you do not need to use. 0 is an example.


Headings

A - FOR CULTURE LOVERS
B - ARRIVED NOT LONG AGO
C - SOME DAYS IT’S DIFFERENT
D - GOOD SHOPS  Example: Speaker 0
E - TAKES VERY LONG TO GET TO YOUR PLACE
F - HOMESICK
G - FROM A DISTANT COUNTRY
H - NOT KEEN ON THE WEATHER

Transcript:
Today we ask people the question, how do you feel about living in London?

Extract 0
I like living in London because there’s so much to do, you’re never bored,  there’s always a variety of pubs and clubs and restaurants... um... and there’s always good shops. 

Extract 1
Yeah, well, err I’ve only moved to London quite recently in the last sort of few months but I’m really enjoying it. There’s loads to do – really like going to concerts and stuff. I get pretty tired sort of rushing around going to see people and stuff so that’s, that’s a disadvantage like getting around in a big city.

Extract 2
Hi there. I’m from South Africa and I feel really safe living in London. Umm... all the different multicultures, I think it’s really great how everyone can get along and anything you can think of is available.

Extract 3
I like living in London because there’s... err... plenty of history, I like the architecture. I like... umm... the cosmopolitan feel, plenty of museums... umm... art galleries, lots of theatre.

Extract 4
Um... the best thing about living in London is that it’s so big there are always new areas to discover and... um... there are lots of... err... bars and shops opening all the time and... um... different places to go and see but it’s so big that it takes ages to get home and it’d be really nice not to have to get the tube all the time.

Extract 5
I like... err... the theatres, the galleries, the restaurants... umm... the different cultures that all merge within London. Umm... I’m not too keen on the fact that London’s polluted and at rush hour’s the transport system is very overcrowded. However at the weekends it’s a lot quieter.

Extract 6
One of the things I love about London is how cosmopolitan it is. There are people from all over the world and almost every country around. And one of the things I don’t like is the weather
.

Key:         
1b; 2g; 3a; 4e; 5c; 6h