viernes, 6 de marzo de 2015

A nurse deploys to fight the Ebola virus outbreak

Lindsey Hallen, an emergency room nurse, prepares to travel to Sierra Leone, where she will help care for Ebola patients.

Watch the video and say whether the statements 1-9 are true or false.



  1. There are beds for all Ebola patients in hospitals.
  2. Lindsey Hallen hadn’t trained to deal with Ebola until she decided to go to Africa.
  3. Lindsey has been working as a nurse for long.
  4. The charity Partners in Health just deals with Ebola patients in Sierra Leone.
  5. Lindsey is travelling with 13 other people to Sierra Leone.
  6. Lindsey is single.
  7. Health workers wear the PPE for 45 minutes maximum.
  8. Lindsey’s sister is worried about the dramatic impact of the experience on Lindsey.
  9. Lindsey is worried about getting insensitive to people’s suffering.
I guess what I picture is just some of the videos that I’ve seen, makeshift like tented areas, for the treatment units, gravel dirt roads leading up to some sort of structure where people are separated and whether or not there’s beds for people in the room or if it’s just a mattress on the ground. It might be difficult to know exactly what to say and to make them feel comforted the last few moments of their life.
Hello, how are you? My name’s Lindsay. What’s your first name?
George.
George. Can I call you George or you want me to call you Mr Camacho?
You call me whatever you want.
Okay, I’m going to go with George, then.
My name’s Lindsey Hallen. I’m an emergency room nurse at Lenox Hill Hospital, here in New York City. We have been doing training at work, what we’ve got to do if we got an Ebola patient. And so I became interested in everything I read said that they need more help. Anyone who’s willing and able should be going to East Africa.
I’m a new nurse, so I don’t have a ton of experience, but I think the work that’s being done over there doesn’t requite to be an expert in your field, you know, they need so much help in so many different places.
In Sierra Leone our efforts are still focused very much on the urgent, we have Ebola treatment units. We also have community care clinics, we’re working in a maternity hospital. The group that Lindsey is deploying with, thirteen of them are going to Sierra Leona.
The preparation, I’ve very much left to the last minute. I’ve gone to the drug store several times and walked through to see what I can possibly need. It’s hard to know what you’re going to need and what you don’t need. You don’t want to pack too much, but you want to have enough. I live alone. I don’t have children. I think it would be a much harder decision to make if, you know, you had an immediate family that you were leaving for that amount of time.
My headlight, I don’t know exactly the location I’ll be, so there might not be electricity. Malaria pills and cipro. It’s my understanding that it’s safe, you’re working at the Ebola treatment unit, the amount of time that you are in the personal protective equipment, PPE, is supposed to be limited to less than forty-five minutes at a time. You have to wonder like how much are you actually doing when you’re in there for forty-five minutes and then the process of donning and doffing is taking longer than the actual patient care. It’ll just be interesting to see how that whole process works.
Feels a little heavy. Not very comfortable at all, but it will work.
Take these with you if you want, the whole family picture.
I wanted to make sure she had thought it through, including things like watching people die, you know, and not just the threat of getting Ebola but the experience she will have I know will be very, you know, will have a dramatic impact on her.
Mostly what I’m scared about is that I’ll not necessarily that I could potentially be infected and have symptoms of Ebola. I think there is a small chance of that, but I’m not worried about it. Working in emergency room I, you know, I’ve seen a lot of deaths and I always think I don’t have the right to be upset about this because it could be worse and I think after this experience I’m a little bit worried that, that will grow and it’ll be harder to process things and feel things that maybe I should feel and I, you know, because I`m, I’ve gotten so good at pushing it away, yeah.

Key:
1F 2F 3F 4F 5F (13, her included) 6T 7T 8T 9T