miércoles, 22 de julio de 2015

Talking point: Hopes and dreams for the future

This week's talking point is hopes and dreams for the future. Before getting together with the members of your conversation group, go over the questions below so that ideas flow more easily when you meet up with your friends and you can work out vocabulary problems beforehand:
  • What do you think you will have achieved in five years’ time?
  • What do you think you will be doing this time next year?
  • What do you think you will be doing in ten years time?
  • In the future, in what ways do you hope to be developing your career?
  • Is there anything about the future that doesn’t bother you in the slightest?
  • What were your dreams and ambitions for the future when you were a child?
  • Have you achieved your childhood dreams?
  • What kinds of ambitions and dreams do young people have in your country?
  • ‘Anything is possible if you’re prepared to chase your dreams.’ Do you agree?
  • Rank the factors to make your dreams come true in order of importance. Give your reasons.
hard work
family support
determination
self-confidence
money
talent
luck

    To illustrate the topic you can watch the Speakout video age, where people answer the questions
    What are you looking forward to in the future?
    Is there anything you aren’t looking forward to?
    People say that your school days are the best days of your life. Do you think that’s true?



    P: Hi. I’m really excited about the next few months. I’m DJing on the banks of the River Thames in the heart of London and I’m playing some beach parties. Today I’ve come to Covent Garden to find out how people feel about their lives. What are you looking forward to in the future?C: I’m looking forward to having a family: I don’t have a family right now. I’m looking forward to buying a house – I actually live in the United States right now and I haven’t bought a house there, so I’m looking forward to that. And I guess I’m looking forward to more travel.
    T: Finding a job that I’m really passionate about.
    L: Near future, I’m looking forward to a holiday next year. I’m going to Vegas a family that I haven’t been away with for about five or six years now.
    D: Getting a good job. Finishing university.
    Do: Nothing really. I’ve kind of enjoy my life at the moment. I live in Australia now and I’ve got things the way we like them at home and life’s good.
    R: Starting a new job next summer.
    P: Is there anything you aren’t looking forward to?
    T: No, no there’s nothing I can think about that I’m not looking forward to in the future.
    L: The one thing that I’d have thought most people say is dying. Quite serious, but, other than that, no – I kind of embrace life to the full; look forward to most things.
    Ch: I have to say, the premise of getting older and with getting older you have more responsibilities, so that’s one thing I’m not looking forward to.
    C: Well, I’m not looking forward to retiring: I like my job and I like working and I think I’ll be a little bored when I retire.
    D: It’s quite stressful looking for jobs and going to job interviews, so I do get nervous about that.
    Do: Getting older. Your body starting to fall to bits. Not looking forward to that, but it’ll happen.
    P: People say that your school days are the best days of your life. Do you think that’s true?
    T: Absolutely. I do, yes, because you’re, the world is your oyster. You have so much hope, so many dreams and you believe you can achieve anything. So yeah, definitely, I think so, yeah.
    Do: No. School days were hell on Earth for me. It was the worst days of my life.
    D: They’re quite stressful because you have exams, but I do think they’re fun: being able to be with your friends every day. So I do think that school days are good days in your life.
    C: Looking back on it, I had a great time at school. I’m sure at the time it seemed a little difficult, you know, trying to fit in, but now when I look back on it, they were fun days and, you know, I look at them very fondly.
    R: For me, personally, my school days were my favourite because I’ve still got friends from, going back twenty-odd years.
    Ch: That’s when I’ve created the most valuable relationships I have in my life.
    L: For most people, yes, but when I left school at sixteen I was a fulltime footballer at Ipswich Town football club for two years. So, living away from home with friends and doing, kind of, the best thing I could do in my life, were the best two years of my life.