martes, 24 de noviembre de 2015

10 questions with Carrie Fisher

Star Wars actress Carrie Fisher about the films that made her famous, her future plans and motherhood in this Time interview.

Self-study activity:
Watch the interview and say whether the statements below are true or false.

The activity is suitable for Advanced students.




1 Carrie Fisher is a Libra.
2 Carrie Fisher's daughter dislikes her mom's job.
3 Carrie Fisher didn't like the third Star Wars film because she had to wear a metal bikini.
4 She liked Empire because the actors' skills were put to the test.
5 She's proud of having worked in the Star Wars films.
6 Carrie Fisher will never star in a TV show.
7 She regrets not having had more children.

I was born to simple folk. As your age, it’s about dignity…
No way!
If my life wasn’t funny, it would just be true.

I’m Ari Karpel with Time and I’m here today asking ten question of Carrie Fisher, whose one-woman show, Wishful Drinking, about her life in Hollywood is about to come to HBO. Carrie, thank you so much for welcoming us into your home.
Well, thank you for coming to my home.
So now, you could probably spend hours answering this question. From Ernie Barrera of Lakeside, California, what was it like growing up in a show-business family?
The answer to this is, you mean compared to when I didn’t grow up in a showbiz family? I don’t know. It’s like saying what’s it like to be a libra? I guess I was on movie sets more than other kids. But again, what I mainly can say is, compared to what?
Now Susan Browman of Belle Plaine, Minnesota, wants to know what single event in your life you’re most proud of.
I’m proud that my daughter turned out to be as well as she has, and certainly and I can’t take credit for all that, by any means. But I don’t know that my daughter, she’s kind of an event for me. Maybe I’m more of an event for her. But… I don’t know. I think I never thought I would have like a real life in a way. I… That’s something that comes from growing up in a kind of showbiz family… is that you have these fantasies of having a real life, but I’m proud of… that my daughter has… she’s survived me.
Okay, it’s time to get down to some Star Wars.
All right.
Daniel Johnson, of Rockaway, New Jersey, wonders which Star Wars movie was your favourite.
Empire.
Which was your least favourite?
Of my three?
Of yours and those that are…
I didn’t like the third one but I liked the metal bikini. I wish I could still get into it. I didn’t like Jar Jar Binks, and I could never get into that.
And why was Empire your favourite?
It was the most emotional one. It was the most spiritual one. And Irv Kershner who passed away just the other day, he really was very thorough with the new… there was character work to do. We didn’t have just to recite this impossible dialogue: “I have placed information vital to the survival of the rebellion into the memory system of this R2 unit”. Make a character, give that layers. I’ll wait here.
That one’s definitely my favourite, too. Ramon Salas of Venezuela asks… he wonders whether the Princess Leia character was the dark side of the force in your professional carrer.
No. It’s a… those are great movies. They’re milestones. I love movies. Why shouldn’t I be proud of being in that?
Absolutely.
The dark side? You’ve ever seen… let’s see, Hollywood Vice Squad? Or The Star Wars Christmas Special? That’s really good. Was Star Wars the dark side? I think there’s so much competition for that one.
Li Bingyang of Harbin, China, loved your performance on 30 Rock. Are you interested in starring in a TV show?
No…ish. Maybe. Who knows? Not really. I don’t like to learn lines and I don’t like reality TV, but there’s something in the middle that might interest me. But who knows what I’m gonna do? And also I can’t… worse looking so there’s not a lot of… well, you know, you age. It’s not my fault.
Okay.
You know, God set it up this way or somebody did. Anyway, so I’m gonna get worse-looking so I’m not gonna get as happy to watch myself but also I’m not really selling the house so much as the furniture, so…
If you could go back and visit yourself at the age of 22, what advice would you give yourself and would you listen anyway?
Put those pills down. No, I wouldn’t listen. Have more kids. Put the pills down. Be kind to others and obey the Girl Scout laws.
Carrie Fisher, thank you so much for speaking to us and for having us to your home.
No, thank you for coming.
It’s so nice to meet you.
You too.



Key:
1F 2F 3F 4T 5T 6F 7T