martes, 3 de mayo de 2016

The Next Generation of Yuengling Beer

D. G. Yuengling & Son has been a family-run brewery for five generations, Now its chief, Dick Yuengling, is struggling to pass the baton to his four daughters.

Watch the video and say whether the statements below are true or false.
1. Dick Yuengling bought the business in 1958.
2. Dick Yuengling is about to turn 71.
3. Dick Yuengling is not an easy person to get on with.
4. Dick Yuengling wants his daughters to show initiative.
5. Dick Yuengling is known for working very long days.
6. Dick Yuengling sometimes doesn't have enough time to devote to his family.
7. It's Dick Yuengling's daugher's birthday the following day.




I started to work here in 1958 with my grandfather. I bought the brewery in 1985 and we weren’t doing nearly the business we are doing today. We’re trying to compete with Budweiser, Miller and Coors at a pricing level where we really shouldn’t be able to accomplish, but if we can do it efficiently we can play with these guys. I’m 71. I don’t know how many years do I have left. I drop dead, and what’s going to happen? Very few family businesses they can say that they have the next generation stepping forward. It’s good to have the whole flock here.
I think our employees really appreciate that we are such a long-term family business. They’ve got a good support system to rely on for the next generation. In terms of succession and planning, it’s surprising in many respects that we’ve gotten as far as we have.
You can’t send Billy up here for a loan! They don't have it on the floor yet.
It’s been his company for so long and his way of doing things. It’s his way.
Yeah, alright, okay. Good-bye.
Takes time for him to have a comfort level with anybody, even if it’s his daughters. He holds things very close to the vest. You’re really guessing what’s on his mind and what he wants to do.
You are what you are, how you’ve been taught and grown up. Chipping away at the wall to get information out of me is probably a very good assessment, that’s okay, but they have to do it. I can’t read their minds. I want them to learn and if you don’t ask questions, you try to do new things, you don’t learn anything. I don’t want them just being followers. They have to learn to lead.
Yes, we make mistakes, we’re supposed to make mistakes, but he’s seen our commitment, he’s seen that we’re willing to work at it.
We need to regroup on what style seasonal we're going to produce next.
You want to stay away from that IPA thing. Every craft beer is full of hops.
But I think that’s in some ways what the consumer wants and I don't think, I mean, our Octoberfest is not like now like that, Summer Wheat is not necessary like that. So if you want it to try and appeal to that consumer, maybe an IPL is a good option.
Just so it's a good, palatable brand, it’s not overwhelming with hops and that’s what I’m talking about.
So we don't have an answer, but we have a direction. It helps.
Okay, can I go now?
Yes, you’re excused. Oh! What’s are the chances that he’ll be back by 10?
You pick and choose your battles. There’s things I would do differently, you know, I do fight for it now and you can potentially alienate him and I don’t want to create that. That’s not my nature.
I think for a while there we were just sort of here. And we were employees, and it was still my dad running the show and I think people have started to recognise that we are stepping up and we’re doing more. It’s our future.
The commitment that you have to make, if that bothers you, then you shouldn’t be here. I love it. I thrived on it. The busier I am the more I like it. I’m slowly gonna put my 10, 11, 12 hours in, but they're just ripping fun to me. I don’t think I’m in too bad a shape for my age and I’m trying to keep myself together. I wanna live to be a 100.
He’ll never make the decision to step away from the business. When he’s no longer here it’s gonna be because he’s gone.
I devoted my life to this basically. My kids, they all played some kind of sports and I’d get to their home games when I could. Kids want to see their parents at the game, but I don’t get there all the time.
I have a tremendous amount of respect for where the company is. I understand his choices and I can see now why he did those things. I’m okay with it all, but it’s not the way that I would choose to do things. I work a lot but I don’t know if I’ll ever work as much as my Dad.
You didn't get things done here. What’s going on?
You know, this is his life and that’s not how I approach it.
I’m leaving. I’ll see you on Monday.
What’s the matter with tomorrow?
I won’t be here.
Why?
It’s my birthday. Did you know that?
Oh, happy birthday…
Did you know that?
She’s 39 tomorrow.
Certainly you’re committed to your children but you’re also committed to your business, if you’re gonna be successful.
Alright. See you later.
Alright. I love you.
Love you. Good-bye.
Whether I sacrifice something with my children, I don’t know, but some day they’ll come to realise here’s what we got because of that, and I’ll be judged accordingly. And maybe they won’t do as much as I did but they’ll do it better.
How you feeling, Coop, all right?
Yeah.

KEY:
1F 2F 3T 4T 5T 6T 7T