martes, 4 de octubre de 2016

The Pint-Size CEO

Moziah Bridges started making bow ties when he was 9 years old. Now he is 13 and at the helm of his own company, Mo’s Bows. But when it comes to the business, who is really in charge?

Self-study activity:
Watch the video and answer the questions below.



1 How much money has Mo made so far?
2 How long has Mo's grandmother been in the sewing business?
3 What does $5 and $40 to $60 refer to?
4 Who is the most important person is Mo's life?
5 Where does most of the money the business makes go?
6 What's the biggest challenge for Mo's mom?
7 Why does Mo have problems at school?
8 What are boys who are Mo's age into?
9 What criticism do Mo's parents get?
10 Why does Mo feel he has a lot more freedom at 13?

I'm a little guy. But I'm a little guy with the big business.
He's the bow tie guy.
Let me tell you something about bow ties.
You've made about $165,000.
He does have a CEO of Mo. And that's Mama. And Mama makes the decisions.  We are not going to sacrifice his childhood for the business.
Bow ties make you look good and they make you feel good.
When they asked me about my bow ties, I told them my story. When I was nine, I just wanted to look good.
I asked my lovely, lovely grandmother, who's been sewing for over 50 years, to teach me how to sew. And after that, ba-zam. My company took off.
He was his own walking model. He started selling them for $5.  And fast-forward to three years later, he's selling them for $40 to $60. I worked in sales when we started Mo's Bows, and it quickly took off. And I decided that my boss could be 12.
I have five seamstresses -my mom, my grandmother, my whole family, basically.
Also, if you're getting it for a gift for someone, he can certainly include a personal note.
You have people loving each other, and still achieving a dream or a goal. I don't think I would be able to be where I am without my mom. She's the one who holds Mo's Bows together. She's doing pretty good, I can say.
We don't live an elaborate life. We're still very conscious of what we have and where we want to go.  So a lot of the profit definitely goes back into the business.  Ultimately, he wants to have a clothing line. We're looking into neckties.  We recently added pocket squares. We definitely want to make Mo's Bows a household name.
Red.  You out of green.
Oh, really?
Yeah. They took them all.
Dealing with my mom, that's probably the most challenging part.
Maybe 20 more times be good?
We didn't sell too many.
By we you mean?
Me.
Really.
We're like fire and ice.
Ma, I love you.
But at the end of the day, we come up with a good solution.
Sometimes we have to walk on eggshells. You just never know what day it is for him. So it's kind of having to work around him as a teenager, as a child, and as a student and a businessman. Just really keeping the balance has been the biggest challenge.
What is this on your tie?  Is that toothpaste?
Yes, it is.
Good morning, Mr. Bridges.
How you doing, sir?
Great.
Great.
Belt?
Thank you, sir.
Socks?
Hands.  Feet.  Lips.  Go ahead.
We've run into problems at school with him sitting in business meetings, and then having to sit in class and be quiet.
Dimples is a recessive trait.
It seems ridiculous to me, because I want to talk.  But you have people who tell you, it's time to be quiet. No, it's not time to be quiet.  So I think I should talk.  So I'm going to talk.
Boys his age, they're not really into fashion.  A lot of them are into sports, rap music, and all that good stuff.  And it's just not what he's into.
Can you talk a little bit about some of the bow ties you brought with you today?
Well, some of the bow ties…
I would hope to see that Mo will grow up to live out his dreams, no matter what it is.  I feel like Mo is the future we want to see in our children. And I believe that's why everyone is so proud of him.
I was going to try to get you to make a sale before you leave here.
He called you an innovator. Do you know what that is?  Something that not everyone else is doing. Right?  What do you think?  Does that fit you?  You can understand what a big deal this is. You're the youngest inductee.
I'm being inducted into the Tennessee State Museum.  And that's a big thing, because it's my family history that is going to be in the museum.  It's going to be here forever.
Our first recipient tonight- we've just hugged him all night long. He's probably got sore bones by now… is Moziah Bridges.
Thank you for having me, everyone.
Bring this here, Mo.
Gonna sit here, at the head of the table?
You're an official teenager.
Dear Father, we come to you through your son Jesus Christ.
We get criticism not very often, but sometimes it's the fact that this is not Mo's business, it's his parents putting him in the spotlight. But I always tell Mo, any time you feel like you are overwhelmed and you need to pull the plug, it's OK.  I will need to be prepared for that.
I appreciate y'all coming over and helping us celebrate 13 years.  I was telling Mo this morning, I was like, Mo, you don't understand. This is a big deal.  When I brought you home, you were this little. And I had no idea what I was doing. I had to feed you and clothe you. And with a lot of love and nourishment, you turned out pretty good.
13 feels great. I have a lot more freedom, like staying up past eight. That's the main thing. 

Key:
1 $165,000
2 fifty years
3 the price he started selling his ties for ($5) and the price he's selling them for now ($40 to $60)
4 his mom 
5 into the business
6 keeping the balance, as Mo is a teenager, a child, a student and a businessman.
7 he has to keep quiet
8 sports, rap music, and all that good stuff
9 this is not Mo's business, it's Mo's parents putting him in the spotlight
10 He can stay up past 8.