martes, 30 de mayo de 2017

Gisele Bündchen talks modelling career, new book and family

After nearly 20 years, Gisele Bündchen remains one of the world's most famous supermodels. Since 2002, Bündchen has been the most high-paid model in the world. But she says her successful career is just a chapter of her life.

Self-study activity:
Watch the video and say whether the statements below are true or false.



1. Gisele is going to stop modelling altogether.
2. Gisele started modelling at 17.
3. Good looks have been the best asset for Gisele to become the best top model.
4. Gisele herself cleans her own apartment.
5. Gisele was discovered in a disco.
6. Gisele is now a totally different person from when she was a child.
7. Gisele the model and Gisele the person are very much alike.
8. At 25 Victoria Secret offered her a $20 million contract.
9. Gisele was unable to bring together being a Vogue model and being a catalogue model.
10. Gisele is as competitive as her husband.
11. Tom, Gisele’s husband, has three children.
12. For Gisele’s father, relationships is the most important thing in life.
13. Gisele doesn’t exactly know what she’s going to do in the future.

After nearly 20 years, Gisele Bündchen remains one of the world's most famous supermodels. At 35 she’s releasing a limited edition book through the German publisher Taschen. The collection of photos of Gisele already sold out despite a 700-dollar price tag. We spoke with her about her book, her family and turning the page on modelling.
Since 2002, you have been the most high-paid model in the world for a long time, 13 years. But there is a sense that it's a moment to refocus, to rethink who you are and where you’re going.
Yes, for sure. I think, you know, I'm so grateful to be where I am right now because I feel fulfilled. I feel like I gave in a lot of energy and dedication and focus to that, you know, and I think, 20 years is like more than half my life doing that, I feel like it’s long enough, you know, and I feel like I still have some contracts and they're going to be still going forward, there’s still some things I am going to be doing, but it's not my focus by any means anymore.
This is your life!
Well, this is a chapter…
A chapter of your life!
In her new book, Gisele Bundchen tells the story of Gisele the model.
How young were you then?
I was like 17.
It captures her transformation from a fresh-faced teenager…
Barking stocks, as you can see I had no idea of fashion and I really didn't care, I was just like, hey…
… into the world's greatest supermodel and more.
Oh, that’s Vida!
Ah, there's your dog, your famous Vida. She’s no longer with us?
No.
When did she die?
Sorry! Three years ago.
It is a personal photo album that's also a work of art.
This one was Alberto Marcos…
It features every great photographer in the industry.
This was Helmut Newton.
Fashion photographers have always loved her but she says it has nothing to do with her looks.
Are you the best because of the look that you had…
Not at all.
…or because… No.
I don't think so, not at all.
Is it because what?
I think because of my personality, yeah, I think I've never complained, you know, I think that if they say…
That’s what they say?
…if they say, Giselle, go there, it's below zero in a bathing suit and start jumping and I'm like that's what I do, you know, hey Giselle, it's a hundred degrees in the Death Valley, go shoot like, you know.
Because you want it so badly?
Because I wanted to do my best. If I choose to say yes to something and if somebody is putting their trust in me, I don't want to disappoint anybody, I'm just not that person, you know. I think I'm a person who strives to be the best that I can be. I think if I'm going to clean my apartment, you're going to be able to eat on the floor. I mean, I'm that person, you know, what I'm saying?
Yes, I do know what you’re saying.
Whatever it is that I'm going to make the time to do it, I'm not going to be there if I can’t show up a hundred percent.
She was only 14 when she was discovered in a shopping mall in Brazil. She was a tall, lanky tomboy who had no interest in fashion but five years later the Brazilian beauty was on the cover of American Vogue, the days of heroin chic were declared over, curves were in.
You changed the face of modelling. It was no longer Moss, it became Bündchen.
I think I was in the right place at the right time, you know, I think I was lucky.
…where the world was ready to switch to a different kind of look.
Yes, and then I was there.
And you were that look.
I was their look. I felt like I was at the right place, at the right time, with the right attitude. You have to remember there was always a part of me who felt like the underdog, right, so I'm like, here I am and people giving me a chance…
Because as kid you were gawky, and you olive oil and you were all that.
And I think that sticks with you. There's a part of that that no matter how… I'm telling you there is a part of that that stays with you.
It’s not unusual. We carry what we learned in our childhood throughout our life.
Exactly.
Okay, but did you begin to think inside I'm pretty… Because there is some people who never believe they're pretty because growing up they never thought they were pretty.
Maybe…
But you began to realise.
I began to realize that I had something to… that I could do with this.
There was some magic that happened between you and a camera.
Yes, I feel very comfortable with the camera. And I think the reason why I felt very comfortable is because I've always separated her, Gisele, this idea.
The persona.
The persona, then Gisele the goofball me, tomboy. You know what I'm saying, because I think the fashion wanted to, create this ideal of glamorous and sexy and all that stuff.
And you understood that and you were willing to serve that thing.
Yes, I was. Yes.
And it served her well. She's graced more magazine covers than any other model ever. And she’s earned more money than any of them too. Her first big break came when Victoria Secret offered her a $25 million contract. She was just 20 years old.
At that time it was like either you are a Vogue model or you are a catalogue model. So it was a big decision. Even though it was a lot of money, you know, it was like, I remember talking with my agent, I remember she said, you know, this is a decision you have to make because you might never do a Vogue cover again, I was like well, I have to take a chance of never doing fashion again because when am I going to make $25m again, you know, I have to take that chance.
Ever since she’s been navigating the world of celebrity, thanks in part to her relationship with a certain quarterback who would later become her husband and the father of her two children.
So when you met Tom Brady [Yes.]
What did your instinct say?
I said he was, you know, he is a very kind man.
You keep saying that.
Because he is.
Kind is what…
He's kind, you know. He’s… You know him.
Yes.
But he had as much competition and competitive instinct as you did. He was every bit as competitive as you were. Was that part of the attraction?
I would say he's much more competitive than me. I would say I'm more a collaborative person because in my job, it's about collaboration.
In his job too. Why do you think those big linemen are up there?
I know but he's kind of the boss in some way, you know. Not the boss but he kind of has to dictate. He says now guys this is smack something, I don't know, some language, dot dot, I don't know what, some language.
Whatever he says.
Whatever he says, football language.
And then, you're madly in love with Tom. He's sort of scampering up to Boston every time he can. And then you found out that his former girlfriend is pregnant.
It was a challenging thing because here I am, you know, thinking I'm dating this guy, we met and we started dating. And everything is great. And then this happens, right. So I felt like I didn't know what to do. It was kind of one of those moments of like do I just run away or do I… I think now eight years later I couldn't have asked for a sweeter bonus child.
How tough was it when Tom had to go through what he just went through?
I think we have been through a few tough times together. I think that is when I think that is when you know who are your friends and who loves you. I think my father always said the quality of your life depends on the quality of your relationships. And I think no matter how challenging it was, we always have been supportive of one another and I think that's the most important thing you can have in life, you know, a support system and love.
Here's what I think is interesting about you, among many things. One is your drive; two is your sense of looking for meaning; three is that you are at a place in which you don't quite know where the future is. [Yes.] That’s rather exciting.
That is a beautiful thing.
Exactly.
It is scary a little bit. But it's exciting. Because you have the opportunity, because, you know, when you have no definition exactly what it is [It’s better.], everything is possible. Miracles happen that way. The magic happens that way. And I worked very hard since I was 14 years old to be it today in my life at this place to make that choice, you know.
Really nice interview, I mean we've never heard from that answer that sort of context before really nice.
And she’s very candid, very, very candid.
It was very interesting. An unlimited popular edition of the book will be released next spring.
There's lots more of this interview I know you're going to have it on your PBS show, right, and also Charlie asked Bündchen about the paparazzi and we'll post that portion of their conversation at CBS This Morning.com
I like what she said that her dad said the quality of your life depends on the quality of your relationships, that is so true.
Very nice, Gisele.
What does she want to do next, whatever she wants to do so.

KEY:
1F 2F 3F 4F 5F 6F 7F 8F 9F 10F 11T 12T 13T